Sweet potatoes are packed with beta-carotene which our body transforms to vitamin A. Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin that increases the body immune system, keeps the skin healthy and keeps eye health. Sweet potatoes are high in anti-oxidants and lower the potential health dangers connected with heavy metals and totally free radicals as they travel through our digestive tract. They likewise have anti-inflammatory properties and are terrific for individuals with inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
The majority of us question whether sweet potatoes can be consumed raw. Naturally, yes, however just in moderation as its nutrition value is improved just after cooking.
Dark sweet potatoes consist of carotene. Your body can convert it into vitamin A. Likewise, sweet potatoes tend to lose some amount of nutrients after they are cut from their vines. That is why eating them fresh is recommended. Rather of eating it raw, it is much better to prepare it before eating.
Is Eating Raw Sweet Potato Good for You?
Turns out a great deal of people believe you need to cook sweet potatoes prior to you eat them. However unlike routine potatoes, which include the unsafe enzyme solanine in their raw state, sweet potatoes can really be taken in raw.
I would not bite into one like an apple– sweet potatoes have an enzyme inhibitor that can make digestion tough when eaten in big quantities– but a handful tossed into the shake mixer includes huge nutritional advantages. Sweet potatoes are high in Vitamin A and C, fiber, potassium, and iron, and are a reasonably low-calorie addition to your healthy smoothie blend.
If you want to boil sweet potatoes, do not peel them. After they are boiled, you can remove the peels and eat them. This can keep a few of the nutrients which are normally lost during boiling.
You can also steam them using a pressure cooker. Quick cooking is much better than sluggish cooking.
- The best thing is that, they contain lots of fiber, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. And naturally, they consist of no cholesterol or fat.
- It is good for diabetics as it does not increase your blood glucose levels all of a sudden.
- It includes minerals like potassium, manganese and magnesium which are essential for your body. It also includes substances that can prevent particular types of cancers.
- The leaves consist of vitamin K, C, folate, iron, and potassium.
- It is rich in vitamin A which is good for your eyesight. Other vitamins like B6, B5, B1, riboflavin and niacin play a role in your metabolism.
Raw Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes
Raw Sweet Potato Salad with Curry Almond Sauce is a special and refreshing salad that is perfect for those hot summer days when you cannot bear to switch on the oven or range. Raw sweet potatoes have an excellent crunch and fresh flavour that is far from starchy.
Prep time: 15 minutes|Serving size: 3 primary or 6 side meals
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup sliced walnuts
Curry Almond Sauce
- 6 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon tamari
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Make the Curry Almond Sauce by blending or mixing all the components together.
- Next peel the sweet potatoes and either spiralize them, grate them or use a peeler to make the raw sweet potato noodles.
- Place the sweet potato noodles in a bowl with the currants and walnuts and massage the sauce into the raw sweet potato salad.
Side Effects of Eating Raw Sweet Potatoes
- Raw potatoes consist of particular substances that might slow down the food digestion of proteins. When they are prepared, such compounds might neutralise.
- If you take in excessive of raw sweet potatoes, you may experience flatulence. Preparing them would make them feel easy on your stomach.
You can easily substitute sweet potatoes in for carrot, mango, or peach in your existing preferred dish. Mix it with turmeric, ginger, and coconut water for a tropical take. Or try it with cinnamon and pecans for something like that other genius use of sweet potatoes: sweet potato pie.
Answer and Questions
Can you get sick from eating raw sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes can be safely eaten raw but some types of yams are only safe when cooked. Naturally occurring plant proteins found in yams can be toxic and cause illness if consumed raw. Sweet potatoes can also cause kidney stones due to the oxalates they contain.
Is it bad to eat sweet potatoes every day?
One sweet potato can contain 769 percent of the amount of vitamin A you should consume daily. Vitamin A is very good for your eyesight, bones, and skin, as well as helping to strengthen your immune system. Sweet potatoes can be eaten every day but in moderation.
What are the side effects of eating sweet potatoes?
There are no serious problems when consuming sweet potatoes, they contain a lot of vitamin A, which accumulates in the body.When consuming sweet potatoes in large quantities, you may notice that your nails and skin may turn a little orange. This side effect will disappear if you reduce your sweet potato consumption.
Should I eat sweet potato skin?
The peel of sweet potatoes is absolutely safe for health and can be added to most recipes. They’re rich in fiber, other nutrients, and antioxidants that can help support a healthy gut, increase feelings of fullness, and prevent chronic disease.
Is Sweet Potato healthier than potato?
Sweet potatoes are often touted as being healthier than white potatoes, but in reality, both types can be highly nutritious. While regular and sweet potatoes are comparable in their calorie, protein, and carb content, white potatoes provide more potassium, whereas sweet potatoes are incredibly high in vitamin A.