Cream of Wheat, America’s favorite hot wheat cereal, is not just a pleasing comfort food; it serves as a hearty, nutrient-dense start to your day. Its versatility allows you to customize your bowl to your taste and reap numerous health benefits.
Why Cream of Wheat is a Healthy Breakfast Option?
Cream of Wheat is an excellent source of iron and B vitamins, often found in meat, making it a great choice for vegetarians. The dish is low in calories, rich in nutrients such as calcium and iron, and is easily prepared either on the stovetop or in a microwave. Whether cooked with water or milk, people enjoy adding spices like cinnamon or a pinch of salt for added flavor.
Benefits of Including Cream of Wheat in Your Morning Routine
Including Cream of Wheat in your morning diet brings with it several health benefits. It is an integral source of key nutrients like calcium, iron, and B vitamins that contribute to healthy bone density, blood function and energy metabolism. This hot breakfast is not only tasty, but provides a nutritional punch, making your breakfast far more than just a meal. Its simplicity, nutritional values, and traditional crowd-pleasing flavor make Cream of Wheat a smart choice as part of a balanced breakfast routine.
Sweet Cream of Wheat Breakfast Recipes
Starting your day with a hearty, nutritious meal is crucial to maintain health, boost energy, and achieve productivity goals. Varieties of Cream of Wheat breakfast recipes accommodate numerous culinary tastes and cater to diverse nutritional requirements. Here are a couple of options for those with a sweet tooth.
1. Cream of Wheat with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar
This recipe introduces a warm, comforting element to your breakfast with the addition of cinnamon and brown sugar. Moreover, brown sugar compensates for the added spice of cinnamon, balancing the creamy delicacy.
Begin by preparing the Cream of Wheat as per usual instructions. Towards the end of the cooking process, stir in a hint of cinnamon and brown sugar, enhancing the texture and flavor. The end result is a creamy, sweet, and spice-infused bowl of hot cereal. It’s a quick and simple variation that brings a comforting start to those chilly mornings.
- 2 cups water, whole milk, or non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup Cream of Wheat
- Granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and brown sugar for the toppings. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring water, milk, or non-dairy milk to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon stick to the boiling liquid and let it steep for a few minutes to infuse the flavor.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the liquid and discard.
- Gradually add the Cream of Wheat to the hot liquid, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the Cream of Wheat thickens to your desired consistency. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the Cream of Wheat is cooked and creamy, remove it from the heat.
- Serve the cooked Cream of Wheat in bowls.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture over the Cream of Wheat.
- Add your desired toppings, such as fresh berries, dried mango, walnuts, or additional cinnamon sugar.
2. Peanut Butter Cream of Wheat with Fresh Fruit
Adding peanut butter to Cream of Wheat not only ties in delightful, nutty flavors but also effectively boosts the protein content. The velvety rich peanut butter melted into the warm cereal gives the Cream of Wheat a dessert-like dimension.
Top with fresh fruit of your choice for a dose of refreshing sweetness and a variety of added nutrients. Berries or banana slices provide a perfect contrast to the rich, creamy, and savory peanut butter flavored Cream of Wheat.
- 1 cup Cream of Wheat
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Fresh fruit of your choice (such as bananas, strawberries, or blueberries)
- Honey or maple syrup (optional for sweetening)
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and milk to a low boil over medium heat. Stir in the salt.
- Gradually add the Cream of Wheat to the boiling liquid, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes or until it thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the peanut butter until well combined.
- Let the mixture cool slightly before serving.
- Spoon the creamy peanut butter Cream of Wheat into bowls and top with fresh fruit.
- Drizzle with honey or maple syrup if desired for added sweetness.
Savory Cream of Wheat Breakfast Recipes
One of the best things about Cream of Wheat is its versatility. For those looking for something other than sweet in the morning, there are plenty of savory recipes to try. These following recipes make an enjoyable and satisfying meal to fuel you through the day.
1. Cream of Wheat with Onions and Peas
This savory Cream of Wheat recipe brings a twist to your standard porridge. Tender onions and sweet green peas add a perfect balance of flavors, while also providing a good dose of nutrients. Begin by caramelizing onions in a small amount of olive oil until they’re soft and golden. At the same time, cook peas until they are tender. Prepare Cream of Wheat as usual, then mix in onions and peas as the cereal thickens. This savory dish is an excellent nutrient-packed choice to start your day.
- 1 cup semolina (cream of wheat or wheat farina)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili
- ½ cup peas
- Red chili powder (to taste)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- Lemon juice (to taste)
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Heat oil in a 12-inch wide skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add finely chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add green chili, peas, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the peas are tender.
- In the meantime, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a separate pot.
- Gradually add the semolina to the skillet and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Lower the heat and slowly pour the boiling water into the skillet, stirring continuously.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the semolina is cooked and the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like cilantro or mint.
- Serve hot as a main course or a savory breakfast option.
Unique Cream of Wheat Breakfast Recipes
Breakfast is an essential meal because it kick-starts your metabolism and leaves you feeling energized to tackle the day ahead. Cream of Wheat, with its mild flavor and adaptable texture, can form the base of an array of healthy breakfast recipes.
1. Pumpkin Cream of Wheat
The Pumpkin Cream of Wheat recipe is a beautiful combination of health and taste. It renders the season’s warmth with its pumpkin spice flavor and is prepared with genuine pumpkin, packing in a good dose of essential nutrients. This heartwarming version of Cream of Wheat takes a mere ten minutes to whip up, making it an ideal pick for an early fall morning. Double the recipe if you plan to share this delicious breakfast with others. Its natural sweetness and rich, creamy texture also make it a kid-friendly option.
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ – 1 cup water
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ¼ cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons Cream of Wheat
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional 2% milk (optional)
- 2/3 cup cream of wheat (aka farina or quick-cooking hot cereal)
- Optional ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ – ½ cup raisins
- Toppings for your cream of wheat bowls
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk, half-and-half cream, and Cream of Wheat.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir until blended.
- Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the milk, water, pumpkin puree, salted butter, and maple syrup until hot but not boiling.
- Gradually whisk in the cream of wheat and continue whisking until smooth and thick.
- Stir in the canned pumpkin, sugar, and ground cinnamon.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin cream of wheat reaches your desired consistency.
- If desired, stir in vanilla extract for added flavor.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve warm with additional milk, raisins, and your favorite toppings such as nuts, cinnamon, or maple.
2. Peach Cream of Wheat
Looking for a slightly sweet, yet healthy breakfast option? The Peach Cream of Wheat might just be the solution. The recipe includes fresh, juicy peaches that not only add a light sweetness but also enhance the nutritional value of the meal. Introduced by Natalie Monson in 2018, this beloved peachy update on the Cream of Wheat has been a crowd favorite. The hearty breakfast is easy to prepare and serves ample taste and nutrition to kickstart the day.
- 1 cup cream of wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 peach, diced
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the salt and gradually stir in the cream of wheat.
- Stir in the brown sugar until well blended.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Add the diced peach to the cream of wheat and gently stir until well blended.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
These unique Cream of Wheat breakfast recipes are a great start to your day, marrying both taste and health in every bowl. Whether you’re rushing off to a day full of meetings or lounging around the house on a relaxed Sunday, these recipes will ensure a nourishing and satisfying breakfast.
As you can see, Cream of Wheat serves as an excellent base for creating healthy, delicious breakfasts. With just a few additional ingredients, you can transform this versatile grain into a delightful dish that provides nutritional benefits and satisfaction to your morning routine.
Enjoying a Variety of Healthy Cream of Wheat Breakfasts
The original Cream of Wheat porridge can be spiced up with various ingredients like fresh fruits, nuts, seeds, spices and more – making it the perfect canvas for your culinary creativity. Consider playing around with flavors and textures, such as adding cinnamon for a sweet-spicy aroma, chopped nuts for added protein and a crunchier texture, or fresh fruits for a natural sweetness and a vitamin boost.
You can also go with savory options like spinach and cheese, creating a hearty breakfast bowl that keeps you satiated throughout the morning. Cream of Wheat pancakes can team up with 100% pure maple syrup and fresh berries for a classic morning setup.
Cream of Wheat, with its flexible nature, opens up possibilities for endless variations to keep your breakfast exciting and healthful. It not only fuels up your mornings with its rich carbohydrate content but also delivers proteins and fiber in moderate amounts, adding to its nutrition profile.
It is also worth highlighting that, although Cream of Wheat is suitable for most people, individuals with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity should avoid it due to its gluten content.